OFFICE ASSISTANT & BULLETIN EDITOR
DEPARTMENT: St. Andrew Parish
SUPERVISED BY: Business Manager
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Non-Exempt
HOURS: Part-time, 20 hours/week
This is an administrative position which requires an individual with strong interpersonal and communication skills. This position requires a professional who often will be the first voice and face of the Parish. This position reports to the Business Manager and assists all office staff. This individual must work in a Collaborative style and be committed to the practice of Christian values in fulfilling the parish community’s mission and goals as they apply to this position.
While in the office: serves visitors by greeting, welcoming, and directing them appropriately; notifies staff of visitor arrival; manages incoming calls; maintains security and telecommunications system; answering questions; data entry; record keeping; processing payments assists staff in general office duties. Total responsibility for the parish bulletin: gathering articles, translating content to Spanish, editing, formatting, meeting weekly deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Greet visitors and assist as appropriate
• Manage incoming calls
• Process daily mail
• Data Entry in Church Database
• Provide information to parishioners who call in requesting information about St. Andrew Church
• Maintain a safe and clean reception area by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations
• Assist staff with various office duties such as mailings, filing, correspondence, updating the calendar, etc.
• Total responsibility for the parish bulletin: gathering articles, translating content to Spanish, editing, formatting, meeting weekly deadlines.
• Preparing Liturgy documents for Sunday Masses: Sick & Deceased lists, Prayers of the Faithful, Announcements, special prayers
• Must possess at least High School Diploma or GED.
• This role requires an individual who can multi-task and adapt to changing priorities.
• Individual should be able to interact with staff, parishioners, and visitors with a high level of professionalism.
• Candidates should be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and InDesign. Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and database experience is a plus.
• Individual must have strong organizational skills, telephone Skills, verbal Communication and be a self-starter.
• The ideal candidate will be someone with a deep appreciation for the Catholic Church, and will be committed to supporting our Parish.
Monday- Friday: Flexible
Saturday 9:00am – 2:00pm
BUSINESS OFFICE ASSISTANT
SUPERVISED BY: Business Manager
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Part- Time (30 hours/week), Exempt
The Business Office Assistant at the church will serve as an assistant to the daily operations of the Business Office, aiding the Business Manager in the carrying out the daily administrative duties at the Parish.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing their work.
The following tasks are considered essential functions of the position. To perform the job successfully an employee must possess the abilities and aptitude to perform each duty proficiently. Other responsibilities may be assigned at the discretion of the Business Manager.
Reporting to the Business Manager, the Business Office Assistant will be responsible for the following:
- Provide administrative support to the Parish Business Manager. Support the Business Manager on issues related to Facilities Management and data entry among other things.
- Assist in managing daily operational tasks including reconciling bank accounts, general ledger processing and various accounting functions.
- Assist Business Manager in the management of the parishioner database. Coordinate with others to maintain current and accurate data on the parish community.
- Provide administrative support to the Business Manager which includes: Daily email and mail correspondence, scheduling appointments, assisting customers over the telephone and in person as necessary, as well as communicating with donors and vendors, as needed.
- Recruit volunteers to assist with special projects from time to time.
- Maintains strict accountability of all cash (may include petty cash) and checks processed through the Front Desk area, as well as equipment such as cell phones, keys, and microphones, and promptly reports any discrepancies to the Business Manager.
- Assists with preparing and making deposits, following strict cash handling guidelines.
- Responds to requests from Clergy, staff, parishioners or visitors regarding maintenance or housekeeping needs, coordinates same with the Maintenance and External Services departments; utilizes good judgment after hours determining if an employee must be contacted.
- Assists Business Manager in the purchasing of office supplies and equipment.
- Data entry in quick books.
- Assist the Business Manager with various reporting requirements.
- Completes special projects and reports for senior management and Parish Councils.
- Process month-end balancing and journal entries.
- Assist with the management and processing of payments through the accounts payable system.
- Work on special projects and assignments, as needed.
We seek candidates who will carry out this role with grace and charity in support of the parish mission and who will take pleasure in serving this large, diverse community. Specifically, we are looking for candidates with the following experience:
- A college degree and at least 3 years experience in a similar or a management capacity with a good track record of accomplishment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Demonstrated diplomacy and patience; good customer relations skills; enjoy assisting others; willing to do what it takes.
- Proficiency in the use of standard office tools: copy machine, computer, etc.
- Competency with Microsoft Office Suite for Windows, scan, fax, Quick Books and Google Calendar.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, as well as an ability to relate well with a diversity of persons: pastoral staff, office colleagues, church leaders and members, and visitors.
- Willingness to grow spiritually, attitudinally and vocationally, exhibiting a personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and a willingness to develop a comprehensive understanding of the church she/he serves, with the openness to receive additional training, should that be deemed necessary.
- Experience with electronic database management and maintenance of donor records as well as mail merge functions. Knowledge of social media applications. Willingness to learn new software.
- Ability to work with minimal direction—a hands-on self-starter.
- Ability to accommodate occasional evening and weekend meetings and special events.
- A cooperative team member in relation with others who share the work environment and responsibilities.
- Duties require broad conceptual judgment, initiative and ability to deal with complex accounting issues.
- Meet expectations for attendance and punctuality.
- Excellent customer service skills, attentiveness, information retention, tact and diplomacy in dealing with both customers and employees.
- Mathematical aptitude and problem solving skills.
- Ability to utilize resources available to complete assigned projects.
- Self-starter, ability to work independently.
- Ability to interpret technical data, processes, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Familiarity with standard auditing practices and procedures and the ability to apply them to each project assigned.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment & under pressure as needed.
- Familiar with banking regulations and responsibilities.
- The ability to make sound decisions. This may include making on-the-spot decisions regarding customer transactions.
- Incumbent must be able to interact in a professional manner at all times with callers, walk-ins, and all customers visiting the facility, as well as maintain confidentiality and high ethical standards. Excellent telephone etiquette and customer service skills are musts, as well as the ability to speak, read, write, and follow verbal and written instructions in English.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Required: High school diploma or equivalent. Preferred: At least one year of office, clerical, or secretarial experience. Some college hours or trade school training in business or a related discipline is desirable. Prior military experience is a plus.
Interested candidates may submit a resume, cover letter and a three-year salary history to: email@example.com.